Golden Hawk alumni & friends of the football program,
It feels great to get a win on the road in week one of the OUA season. The first game is always tough because you are really unsure of what the other team is going to do without having any recent film on them. You have to simply play your game and make adjustments on the fly. The 38-21 victory over York is better than we have played them the last few years and although not pretty at times it counts just the same in the win column. We obviously have a lot we can improve on over the week as we get ready for a week #2 match-up at Guelph – Monday, September 7th at 1pm.
Offence – A very impressive first CIS start for QB Eric Morelli you managed the offence extremely well and spread the ball around to all of our weapons: five different rushers carried the ball and eight different receivers caught passes. Eric finished the game 19/28 for 258 yards and 3 TD’s. He also had a 27 yard TD rush in the 4th. His TD passes were caught by Greg Nyhof, Marcus Arkarakas and Zeph Fraser. On the ground, York was out to stop reigning OUA MVP Dillon Campbell. Despite 8-9 men in the box every play Dillon still had 20 rushes for 116 yards.
Defence – Creating turnovers is a key to success in any football league and that is exactly what our defence did on Sunday. DB William Pitt-Doe had an interception, DE Rashari Henry caused a fumble that was recovered by LB Brandon Calver and the play of the game was by DB Malcolm Thompson who intercepted the ball and took it the whole 60 yards back for a TD. In the tackle column we were led by LB Nakas Onyeka, DB Ron Kinga, LB Brandon Calver and DE Kwaku Boateng.
Special Teams – Kicker Nathen Mesher made his CIS debut and punted the ball well for a first ever game averaging almost 35 yards per punt. He was also 1 for 2 on Field Goals hitting from 31 yards. In the return game both DB William Pitt-Doe and WR Carson Ouellette continue to be great for us. They both do a great job of catching the ball in the air and are fearless running full speed ahead into would-be tacklers.
Highlights, pictures, articles and more all found at laurierfootball.com and at laurierathletics.com.
Here’s what is happening:
Player of the Week Lunch
– Please join us at the Hawks Nest this Thursday for lunch at 12pm
– For just $15 enjoy: great food, highlight video, players of the week honoured, prizes, coaches update and more.
– It was great to see as many Purple t-shirts in the stands, as Red t-shirts at York on Sunday. We will need to see even more September 7th at Guelph. Please come out and cheer on our Hawks!
2015 Team Captains
– We have many great leaders on this team and last week these eight were voted in as Team Captains by both the players and coaches:
– RB Dillon Campbell, QB James Fracas, WR Marcus Arkarakas, WR Greg Nyhof, DB Tanner Philp, DE Kwaku Boateng, LB Nakas Onyeka and LB Brandon Calver.
Adopt-A-Hawk – $23,042 and counting
– I am more than happy to find a player in need for any of you newsletter subscribers. You may also have a specific position that you would like us to find a player for you. We are here to help facilitate.
– We raised $33,000 last year as a team and can definitely surpass that this year – please help us better that mark this year!
– Compete in everything we do: Guelph – Triple Victory Project, MAC – 13th Man Program, Western – Adopt-A-Mustang. We can definitely do more and raise more than these teams – everyone can help!
Get your tickets to see us at home this year:
– 2015 Home Schedule
Sat, Sept. 12 vs Western – 7:30pm – Frosh Game
Sat, Sept. 26 vs Windsor – 1pm – Homecoming
Fri, Oct. 9 vs Ottawa – 7pm – Community Game
Sat, Oct. 17 vs McMaster – 1pm – Senior Day
– Individual game: http://www.laurierathletics.com/createarticle.php?ID=7863
– Season tickets: http://www.laurierathletics.com/createarticle.php?ID=7830
– Help us expand our subscribers list and send me firstname.lastname@example.org the email address of anyone interested, please and thank you!
Until next week,
Go Hawks Go!