Golden Hawk Alumni & Friends of the Football program,
This newsletter is brought to you by our great friends and the best movers, AMJ Campbell.
We are back! As we say goodbye to January we are also thankfully saying goodbye to many of the restrictions that have kept us out of the weight room and from our usual off-season practices. This week our players are able to get back to in-person workouts and starting next week, we will be back to our practices at RIM Park.
I give the players a lot of credit for how adaptable they have been over the last month. We have kept them busy with three online/virtual workouts a week and we started back up with our Alumni Guest talks at our weekly team meetings. Week one we had great presentation from Yannick Carter (LB 2003-2006) who shared his thoughts on the importance of family. Week two Shamawd Chambers (WR 2008-2011) shared how he has faced and dealt with adversity over the years. Finally, last week Austin Reusch (DB 2012-2015) who encouraged our players to join the Stem Cell Registry. https://www.blood.ca/en/stemcells
More Laurier Football Headlines:
· Athletic Director Peter Baxter to retire in April
· Big congratulations to Peter Baxter on announcing his retirement. Peter has been an incredible support over the years to me personally, to so many student athletes at Laurier, and to countless others in the OUA & U Sports.
· Coach Ron VanMoerkerke – now full-time
· We are thrilled to say that our great Defensive Coordinator Coach Ron VanMoerkerke is now full-time with our team.
Fill The Truck – Laurier Football Clothing Drive was a success!
· On Saturday, January 8th, we had another very successful “Fill The Truck” Clothing Drive. Thank you to everyone that took park and thank you to our great Partners at AMJ Campbell Moving for letting us use their truck.
· Beyond February
- Our series celebrating many of the terrific black student athletes we have had in the history of our football program continues. Every month on the 29th day, please check out our Laurier Football social media accounts for these features.
- Beyond February to date:
- March 29th – Roan Kane
- April 29th – Chris Redguard
- May 29th – Mark Miles-Levene
- June 29th – Gerry Smith
- July 29th – Ray Wilson
- August 29th – Patrick Smalling
- September 29th – Adrian Jones
- October 29th – Corey Grant
- November 29th – Donnie Ruiz
- December 29th – Craig White
- January 29th – Yannick Carter
2022 Recruiting Class
o Our coaching staff has done a fantastic job putting together a great recruiting class. We are thrilled with the 15 names you see listed below. In total, we will probably bring in a class of roughly 25 players.
|10||DANIEL KIETA||DE||ST. THOMAS|
· 144 Laurier Student Athletes earn U Sports Academic All-Canadian Honours
· Congratulations to all the Academic All-Canadians, including 11 from our football program.
· An impressive 18 Golden Hawks were on CFL teams for the 2021 season.
· 2021 Adopt-A-Hawk Campaign
· Thank you! We had an incredible AAH camping this year and raised $50,293, which is 125% of our team goal of $40,000.
· We cannot thank you 243 donors enough – much appreciated!
Go Hawks Go!